Five new Christmas lighting features, designed by Ashington children, will light up the town in the next few days as part of the Christmas lighting display.
The designs are from an annual competition, organised by Ashington Town Council, with schools in the town.
Ashington children have designed new lighting features for the past eleven years and this year saw seven school’s entering the competition with five winning designs developed into new lighting features. Over 700 entries were received by the Town Council and we thank all the schools and children who have taken part.
The winning designs will be placed around the town's Christmas Tree, on Station Road, and will be a permanent feature in the town at Christmas time.
The winners this year are;
- Emmie (Year 7 at Ashington Academy) with a reindeer & candy cane antlers.
- Logan (Year 5 at Bothal Primary School Upper) with a bear in a present.
- Poppy (Year 2 at Bothal Primary School Lower) with a snowman.
- Darcie-Mai (Year 1 at Central Primary School Lower) with a fairy in a Christmas hat.
- Poppy (Year 4 at Central Primary School Upper) with a star in a bow (above).
Each child will receive a certificate, a letter of congratulations from the Civic Head (Cllr. Pauline Thompson) and a gift voucher.
Please note that due to Covid-19 a decision has been taken to cancel this year’s switch-on event. We do hope however that the reasoning is understood and that it is recognised that the health, safety and welfare of everyone has to be our priority.
Well done to all of the children!