Wansbeck Business Park
Ashington Town Council meets bi-monthly. In addition to this bi-monthly Full Council meeting the work programme of Ashington Town Council is discussed and considered by three main committees which consider the following items:
Finance & General Purposes Committee
- Dealing with all matters relating to the general day-to-day administration and financial management of the Town Council.
- Dealing with matters specifically referred by the Town Council or any other Standing Committee and with all matters not specifically referred or delegated to any other Standing Committee.
- Dealing with the Terms & Conditions of Service and Pension arrangements of the Town Council's staff and making appropriate recommendations relying on, where appropriate, the Scheme of Conditions of Service of the National Joint Council and the National Association of Local Councils.
- Giving full consideration to, agreeing and making appropriate recommendation to Full Council in respect of the Town Council's budget estimates and final accounts and emerging Town Council financial strategies and policies.
- Dealing with financial issues within existing budget provision, except that in an emergency 20% of general reserves could be used.
- Budget Monitoring & Final Accounts.
- Authorising the Monthly Payment Schedule.
- The consideration of Contracts, Leases and Service Level Agreements.
- The making of annual subsidies and small grants and donations from the Town Council's revenue funds to organisations, for the encouragement and support of the work of those organisations concerned with cultural, charitable, sporting and leisure activities within the Town.
- The facilitation, augment and administration of the Working Group for the Annual Fayre Day.
Environment & Amenities Committee
- The consideration and planning of all matters relating to the direct provision of environmental and local neighbourhood services, including, but not restricted to: Allotments, Seasonal Lighting, Litter Bin Provision (new & replacement), Grass Cutting, Tree & Hedge Maintenance, Floral Bedding Enhancements, Parks and General Environmental Enhancement Schemes.
- The consideration and planning of all matters relating to the provision of direct services for general amenities including, but not restricted to: Public Conveniences, Bus Shelters, Public Seating, Play Areas and War Memorials.
- Planning and organisation of the Ashington Annual Garden Competition.
- The planning and development of all appropriate environmental initiatives including Anti-Litter campaigns, Keep Britain Tidy initiatives and 'Big Tidy Up' clearance schemes.
Planning & Regeneration Committee
- The making of representations to Local Planning Authorities on applications for planning permission which have been notified in accordance with the Local Government Act 1972, Section 20, Schedule 16 and other relevant legislation.
- The making of representations in respect of appeals against the refusal of planning permission.
- The making of recommendations to the Planning Authority regarding street naming.
- To consider and monitor the Town and other development plans and the making of all appropriate representations.
- The making of representations to the appropriate Planning Authority in respect of other planning matters not otherwise referred to above. These may include Tree Preservation Orders, Public Rights of Way etc.
- The making of representations to the appropriate authority in respect of all highways matters.
- The making of representations to the appropriate authority in respect of public transport services.
- The facilitation and support of all economic development and regeneration initiatives for Ashington, including schemes specific to the major redevelopment and promotion of the Town Centre and High Street.
- The facilitation and support of all development and improvement schemes and initiatives for Ashington Market.